Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Stormy Night at the Zoo

Here are some pictures I took on the way to Members Night at the Memphis Zoo this past Sunday.  We were under a tornado watch, but decided to head out anyway.








I see a bull, what do you see?


The cats were out and way more active than we've seen so far.  My camera was dying though...  :(

This is a Serval
Look how close you can get!
The Tigers were pacing all around

I'd just missed a shot of the front one rolling on its back.
The light was weird and the camera kept focusing on the bars.  I took more of the cats, but they didn't turn out, and the camera kept dying.
I finally got to see it's face!  I missed the shot of it climbing the tree, maybe next time!
Did I mention that it was raining?





We finally got a long enough window free from rain and lightning to make a run for the car.  The majority of our time was spent running from covered area to covered area.  The boys loved it, especially when we had to walk through a lake in the middle of the zoo to get back to the entrance.  It came about halfway up the stroller! 


I know it's blurry, but it made me think of a Maxfield Parrish painting
On the way home, the tornado sirens came on.  The clouds around us were putting on a beautiful light show and then the siren started and it was just terrifying, especially since the clouds I was watching are where the tornado was spotted!  These are some pictures I took from in front of our house.  I put the battery to charge as soon as we got home and then ran outside after a couple minutes to try and get a few pictures of the light show.  It was multiple flashes a second and it went on for a few hours.  Simply amazing.
I was trying out the different settings on my camera, trying to capture the lightning.  This was fireworks I believe, not really what I was going for, but still pretty.

Night setting, just a longer shutter

Sorry for the video going in & out of focus, not really sure why, but this video was the best of the 3 that I took. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Those are some amazing pictures! I can't imagine having a tornado warning - but it sure does make for a pretty sky!! :)

    ReplyDelete