Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fabric fun

We went to the fabric store last night, I wanted to peruse the remnants for inspiration.  This is what I found!
I had looked at the trees as a stocking option around Christmas, but it cost too much then, got it on sale!  Thinking about making a table runner with it, I have a different fabric for the other side.  I'm thinking most of these will be used for the block idea that I have.  The pattern in the bottom left corner has some texture on the white feathers, making them raised.  Fun for little fingers to explore! 
I figured the hounds tooth would be a nice lining for something, I'm thinking of attempting purses.  The blue is a sheer, super sparkly fabric.  It is calling to be made into something frothy & special.  No idea what yet, but I have the fabric for when it comes to me!
This is my absolute favorite.  I was looking at it on the big rolls where it was $30 a yard, way too much.  Then I found a yard in the remnants for much less and knew it was meant to be!  I picture this covering the cushion of an old wooden chair with a poofy seat and ornate arms.  Just need to find the chair that's in my head.
Other miscellany odds & ends I found in the clearance.  Again, no plans, nice to have on hand when inspiration strikes though.
We had to leave early last night as it was too close to Jack's bed time, went back this morning and found these beauties.  The fabric store had four big bins full of tapestries and other really thick fabrics that were on clearance.  We've been wanting curtains in our bedroom and needed thick fabric to keep out the light, so this was perfect!  The top two will be made into curtains.  The colors don't show true in the picture, but it should be beautiful once done.  I'll take pictures when I make them to share.  The bottom left fabric is a super soft suede and the stars reminded me of my wizard costume mom made me one year.  Going to make something for the boys room.  Any ideas?
Better picture.  One on the left is more green than yellow though & the right is a little more on the orange side.  Sorry for the boring post, I was just super excited about all my finds!  I also have a lead on a sewing desk, hopefully I'll have that next week & then I'll be able to get the craft room all set up!

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever left a basket of fabric scraps around for the kids to play with? Great for backgrounds, forts, dress up, puppet shows, little scenes to play with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not, they are currently scattered all around the soon to be craft room. I keep the door closed so I don't have to think about all the organizing that's ahead of me. Sounds like a job for nap time tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, you know what? I can see Jack handling one of those unreal pieces, holding in his hands. I can see Carl doing the same thing. A quiet music with the colors and contrast. What was that catalog we got as you kids grew up? I got a LOT of inspiration from you children when I working on things. I couldn't have done it without you children and your young minds. Giving me a different view on an idea in my head, a different slant looking at a piece of fabric together. I'm happy for you and all these treasures you found. Wish I had been there with you. That would have been fun for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fabric junky.
    I don't have much in my collection, but what I do is I get my hobby lobby 40% off coupon and use it to buy a large amount of one kind of fabric.
    I'm in the process of finding a place that services sewing machines, mine needs a little TLC before I can get back to sewing :(
    I have a 9 square quilt I need to make for my newest cousin so I better find a place quick, and a good fabric store!

    You have lots of fun pieces there and I can't wait to see what you come up with ;)

    Biz

    ReplyDelete