Smells can bring back such vivid memories. When I think of my grandparents house in North Carolina I remember the smell of roast cooking. Takes me back and makes me hungry. I learned how to make it when I got older and today I tried a new variation. G&G would make it with venison, my parents made it with beef and I made it with pork! It turned out surprisingly well. You wanna make it? Take a can of cream of mushroom soup, fill that can with milk and add a packet of onion soup mix and combine. Then add some veggies, I like carrots, tateys & onions myself. Put the meat in and cook covered at about 350 until the meat is cooked. Least that's how I do it in the oven, I prefer the crock pot but didn't have the time. Goes great with biscuits, gotta sop up that gravy!
C was napping and J was self entertaining and I was bored so I decided to experiment with our leftover wonton wrappers this afternoon. I was craving something sweet but since we're trying not to buy any groceries I was very limited so I improvised! I spread some marshmallow fluff, peanut butter & added chocolate chip chunks, wrapped them up and baked them. The insides were fantastic but the wonton got kinda funky and chewy and the marshmallow exploded. I think the baking funked up the wrapper, wasn't gonna fry them though. I don't want J associating burning grease with his childhood. Going to try again with phyllo dough. Even though the shell is weird I can't stop eating them. I can only imagine how I'd be porking out with some real dessert!
 |
| My puking wonton |
|
We have some severe storms expected tomorrow so J & I were outside today enjoying the beautiful weather while it's here. Gotta charge those batteries to stave off cabin fever. I apparently haven't been outside lately cause I went out in the backyard and noticed that the trees are completely leafed out now. Way to pay attention...
 |
| Our shady backyard |
|
|
J discovered the allure of dandelions and was picking all he could find to blow apart. He also discovered that the little seeds stick to baby drool when they're put too close to the mouth. I can't describe the faces he was making trying to get them off his tongue, pretty hysterical though. I can safely say that our yard isn't going to run out of new dandelions anytime soon. Glad we're renting!
 |
| Picking flowers |
 |
| Dandelions! | |
We don't have any gardens at this house so there aren't really any flowers, or so I thought! We found a plethora of wild "weeds" in the backyard. We picked some to bring a bit of beautiful inside.
 |
| Our haul, the dandelion & buttercups got thrown out as they had aphids and momma don't like bugs that bite her. |
 |
| Violets (these would be lovely sugared on some cupcakes) |
 |
| Clover smells surprisingly good! |
|
When we moved, I got rid of my eclectic collection of jars and bottles that I used for vases. I improvised with a goblet that I haven't been able to let go of even though I never use it. I guess I now have a use!
 |
| Purty |
 |
| I like the leaves mixed in |
|
I plan to put the violets in a teacup, but I can't reach them and haven't gotten Da to get one down yet, but I'll get a picture once he does! If only I had a cup with violets on it. Hmmm... That reminds me that I haven't added to my teacup collection in a while. TJ Maxx is calling to me!!!
Da's parents will be here in the morning, they're coming to meet C for the first time. I hate that we're so far from family but it's great that so many have made the trip to meet our new addition. We know it's a big trip to visit us and not feasible for everyone and that's why I'm so glad we have the internet to help with staying connected. How do you stay connected with your family?
No comments:
Post a Comment