I went on weather.com this morning and watched the videos of the tornado that touched down in Alabama. I am happy that my family & I were spared from harm but so sad that so many people have died from these storms. Where I used to live in Virginia is under a tornado watch until 3pm today. At least here when a tornado touches down some very loud sirens go off, back home there's nothing to warn you if you're not tuned in to the radio, internet or tv. I started thinking about all my loved ones and realized something, none of them have basements! I grew up with a basement and we took cover in it once when I was little and a storm came through. I think it was a tornado, not for certain though. Mom, do you remember? You're told in the event of a tornado, where there is no basement or storm shelter, to take cover in an interior room. We don't have one of those and unless you live in a rather large house I don't think you're going to find one in most homes that isn't a teeny hall closet. I guess the thinking with that is to find a place where glass can't get you if your windows get blown out, but if a tornado decides to hit your house there's really nowhere safe. That thinking has surprisingly helped me. I can't do a thing about it if it's my time to go, so I shouldn't make myself sick with worry.
I read this morning that there have been about 800 twisters reported across the US this April, the average for this month is about 163. Are there really that many more or are there more people who know what they look like and how to report them? I have no idea but it's a little bit scary to be reading about watches and warnings happening in places that don't normally have any. If you get a minute go to weather.com and watch the videos of the tornado in Alabama. It's terrifying and amazing at the same time. I hope you all have a wonderful day, sorry for all the tornado talk. Baby J is awake and calling his mamaaaaaaa. I will type to you later!
No comments:
Post a Comment